Executive Council of Professors
- In March of 2017, President Barnett inaugurated the Executive Council of Professors (ECOP) to help guide the institution.
- ECOP concluded that although the institution should not abandon its past, it must be intentional about broadening its reach missionally and geographically.
Reason for the Name Change
- New opportunities, including the partnership with Lancaster Bible College, necessitated a rethinking of the institution’s purpose, mission, and vision.
- The name of the institution was too localized to account for its new mission
- Members of the institution desired to reintroduce itself to the community with its new purpose, mission, and vision.
The process of the Name Change
- In January of 2018, ECOP worked with consultants to revisit the institutional purpose, mission, and vision.
- The “Vision Cast” comprised self-definition, Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities-Threats (SWOT) analysis, and Gap analysis
- Once the Vision Cast produced a new purpose, mission, and vision, a survey was taken of internal stakeholders – faculty, staff, and students.
- An additional survey was conducted to reach potential stakeholders.
- After months of prayer, deliberation, and counsel, Cornerstone College of Virginia (CCV) was chosen because it conveyed Christ-centeredness, strength, and foundation. Other advantages included the following:
- It was not too localized
- It was distinguishable from other entities named Cornerstone
- It could speak to preparing students for a variety of missions and careers
- A new logo and branding were chosen to depict CCV’s identity.
- CCV’s tagline “Christ Centered. Career-Focused” speaks to its commitment to educating for ministry in the church and in the marketplace.
- The State Corporation Commission acknowledged the name change amendment on June 5, 2018.
- The State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) acknowledged the institution’s ability to provide religious education under the name Cornerstone College of Virginia on June 20, 2018.